Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wilting Daffodils

"Aunt Laura, what is that thing?"
Eva points to a dead flower petal; so dead, in fact, that it would disintegrate if one touched it.

I sat there and explained away the facts of life.
"Flowers die, Eva."
To which she smartly replies, "I know Aunt Laura."

Oh yeah... Silly me, I forgot that you know everything already;)

I continued on with my little biology lesson. I explained that flowers grow in the dirt, but they grow because they are connected to roots. Once they are cut off from their roots, they stop getting the nutrients they need. Without the nutrients (yes that means vitamins) they need from the soil and roots, they shrivel up and die.

Then it hit me. That is just like us. Without our roots (the Lord Jesus Himself) and without the soil surrounding us (God's Word), we shrivel up and die. We need Him. We need His Word.
All I could think about was John 15. (I never remembered to check and make sure that's the right chapter... you've been warned!)
I am the Vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit. (or... flower petals...)

No comments:

Post a Comment