Friday, August 12, 2011

Dedicated to my Bros

You wouldn't know it, but I dearly love my brothers.
Its a rather quiet, unspoken kind of love.
The relationship consists of me telling them that I love them and
think they are Amazing. (cuz they are)
I *know* they love me back, but like I said... its an unspoken love.
We would all defend one another in a heartbeat, and man I would
give everything to take away their hardships.

But in the day-to-day hustle and bustle of life, you sort of forget
that you possess this undying, defensive love for one another.
It usually starts when they leave their glass of half-empty milk sit
it some remote place where its bound to remain for another week.
It follows with a plate which doesn't quite make it into the sink, but
instead finds a home on a precarious ledge next to the sink. Not in,
but on. That's not what bugs me, its the fact that the food gets crusted
on. I hate crusty dishes. And sometimes I just can't be there to rinse
it off right away. I have long arms, but they can't stretch across the
house. ;)
Sometimes I can't help but wonder... How do you forget to flush the
toilet?? Honestly?!
Honestly, we get along fine. I cringe inwardly at their less-than-polite
manners... Sometimes I might slip with a comment like, "So, do you
have sink-phobia?" "Does the loud flushing of the toilet scare you?" "Is
the faucet not working?" ;)

I just finished mopping the floor today. The smell of clean was in the air
(and in my nostrils. permanently.) and the floor gleamed like never
before. No quicker did it dry, then in walks my awesome brother, who
I love dearly. I really do, no sarcasm there. He is hard-working,
thoughtful, a great husband and father, and honest.

On second thought, let me correct that-
No quicker did it dry, then in walks my awesome brother, who just
happens to be wearing his crusty work clothes and work boots.
I watched in silent dismay as he "tip toes" in his clunker boots
to the fridge for something to eat. He's roaming through the cupboards
when I couldn't help but calmly but sorrowfully say, "Your boots...
on my freshly mopped floor...."

Now maybe my assumptions are off. But I assume that *most* men
will shrug it off or say something callous.
But my awesome brother whips his head down as he realizes that yes,
he is wearing his work boots in the house. "You just mopped?" he asks.
"Ye-ah..."
"Oh man, I didn't even think about the dirt on my shoes. Shoot.
I'm sorry."

He said it all so genuinely and concern was written all over his face as he
eyeballed the floor for debris.
How can you be upset with THAT reaction?!
Tell me!!! Its not possible!!!

They're just plain awesome. I love my brothers!!!!!

If I were a marriage expert, I would mention how important it is to react
calmly and have a forgiving heart. ... and not to let petty little habits cause contempt between yourselves...
I would also mention how a soft answer turns away wrath.
I might even suggest that men can make a definite impression of masculinity (and chivarly!!)
when they react genuinely, with concern, and are truly repentant. Even if they had
a great reason for having to keep their shoes on. Like, "Listen, I was on the verge of collapse and would have blacked out any second if I hadn't rushed in here to eat some cheese!" :)

But since I'm not a marriage expert... I just won't say any of those things. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment