Monday, May 31, 2010

Another week gone by

Friends, parents and family!
Another week-plus gone by with plenty to keep us busy. Our week of children's meetings in Camilo Ortega has finished up with a turnout of just over 100 kids on Friday. We enjoyed the privilege of watching several of the young brothers participate in teaching the children's meetings. There are few things better than the privilege of witnessing the brethren's participation during meetings. It is not about talent, having a 'gift', or whether you feel exercised or not. And this is true for me as a sister too. It is a privilege to gather to the name of the Lord, anytime anywhere. A privilege, folks! Do I treat it as such? Or have I begun to take it for granted... do I assume that my participation is not needed. Whether the silent participation of a sister or the audible participation of the men. Both are needed. I can honestly say.... that there is nothing as sweet-sounding than the simple prayer of a brother. Don't let "I don't have the gift", "I'm not talented with words", or "I don't feel exercised to speak up, let the more experienced brothers run the show"--- don't let these be stumbling blocks to you. There is nothing more pleasing to the Lord than a simple prayer straight from the heart; and as a sister, I love to hear the men participate.

More updates....

7 of us young women had the opportunity to visit a poor hospital last week. Now, when I say "poor", its a government-paid hospital. Free care and really outdated equipment. I saw a 4 month old baby who was smaller than the average newborn. His cry was a mere squeak, his limbs were comparable to twigs.
I saw a 3 year old toddler who was likely near death. Completely limp and lifeless in her mother's arms, she laid unmoving. Her eyes were barely open and her eyes were fixated. She never moved. I couldn't stop staring at her, overcome with grief. I watched as her little body took slow, shallow breaths. I felt completely helpless.

With 7 of us ladies and 7 or 8 suitcases packed with stuff... well, Brenda says it was the biggest load they've had! We had to send the suitcases in a separate vehicle with the guys! We had a variety of packages:
Layette packages- a gallon-sized ziplock bag with (typically) a receiving blanket, sleeper, a couple onesies, a diaper or two, and then some fillers (hat, socks, bib, small bottles of soap or lotion)

Infant/Toddler packages- ziplock bag with an outfit, fillers, diaper, shoes, and a age-appropriate toy.

Children's packages (school aged)- coloring book, crayons/markers, pencils/pens, a couple small filler toys.

Hygiene packs- (they pack these age/gender appropriate, i.e. "young guy" "woman")
Smaller ziplock or clear plastic baggies with a washcloth, bar of soap, shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush and toothpaste, deoderant, etc.

The 3 girls from Ontario, Canada have been here a week now. It sure is nice to have some female companionship!!!! Feel free to leave some comments, I sure do enjoy hearing from people!

I love you Tina and Anna and Annette- got your emails and love hearing from you!

As much as I miss everyone.... I can't bear the thought of coming back home.

Parasites are still inside me but not any worse.

Miss you all and hope to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. Hint taken, Laura ;)

    Great to hear about the work in Nica, especially with the help that the Christians have been there and the great turnout for meetings.

    Anthony

    P.S. You might not want to use purple font on a teal-ish background....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Well, that was irritating. I couldn't remember my google password to post a comment. However, I did remember thinking when I created it that whatever it was, it was so random that I most likely wouldn't remember it. So I created a new one. Problem solved.
    How goes the spanish? I got a sunburn today and think of you roasting down in Nica every time my shirt tag scrapes it :) Wow, sounds like you're definitely not in good ole Iowa anymore. Can't wait to hear all about it!! Alrighty, well I miss you and I'll see you soon at seed sowers!
    Love you lots!!

    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Are you at least taking something to deal w/ the parasites? Sounds like you are having a VERY rewarding experience! Glad you finally have some females there. We just got back from the Barril, and boy do I have a GROSS story for you!! LOL Miss you!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops and ditto on the purple, VERY hard to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, sorry bout that guys! Won't do that again:p

    ReplyDelete