Saturday, May 8, 2010

These first days

As my dear friend, Charitina, predicated... time seems to fly by. Tis only the second day here yet it feels like my second week.
The flight went by without any hitches or glitches. My giant, overstuffed suitcase was exactly 50 pounds. The planes were all on time, Andrew Baker showed up, and our luggage didn't get lost! Quite contrary to my previous visit here in January... (If you weren't privy to that story- it started with a cancellation, lost luggage, and a grand finale of a dead car battery which was supposed to drive us to the airport.)

When our plane pulled into the airport on Thursday night, I started sweating and haven't stopped since. How am I going to survive 95 degree weather for 7 more weeks.... but as with all things, great or small, important or tedious, God promises that He will help us handle the task He has given us, until completion.

Thursday night it was stated that we would be ready to leave a little before 7 a.m.. That night I set my alarm for 6. It wasn't until today that I realized, for whatever reason, my phone is an hour ahead. The past two mornings I actually got up at 5. And when "7" rolled around Friday morning, I couldn't figure out why I was the only one up. :p

We headed to a local market Friday morning and did some seed sowing with several of the young believers from the assembly here in Masaya. I didn't quite know how I would be of benefit but they sure don't let language barriers stop ya! (for which I really am glad) So I took one side of the very crowded market, tried to contain my panic, and dived in headfirst. "Un regalo para usted!" In 15 minutes, we had all ours handed out.

Next on the agenda was to pass out invitations to a 1 week series of children's meetings. We made various stops until we had 2000 copies. Then we scouted out the area for schools and split into pairs. Each pair took a school. We spoke with the principal and were quickly granted permission to distribute the invites to each classroom. I handed out nothing but a small piece of paper, yet I felt that I must be akin to Santa Claus. Though I spoke nothing more than small phrases, seeing the excitement-filled faces was totally worth it.
Schools here have 2 sessions daily- a morning and afternoon session. We took a lunch break then repeated this process for the afternoon students.

Currently, there is a series of tent meetings every night at Masaya, where John and Joann Clingen live. John and Brother Raul are speaking; Ike Frazier will replace Raul when they return on the 17th of this month. Last night there was close to 200 in attendance at the tent meeting. These meetings are continuing on. Last night after the meeting, I noticed that Hermanos Raul and John both had people come talk to them.

This morning the guys, Mark and I went to "Saturday school". They do a Sunday school lesson here each Saturday morning in this very poor place. I don't remember how Mark explained it for sure, but I believe it may be a government-owned area; an area designated to house the poorest of people. There were about 20 children this morning.

Shortly I am leaving with the guys to visit some contacts in the Masaya area.
I am feeling very outnumbered with the guy-girl ratio, but this will be temporary. The end of this month will bring 3 girls from Ontario to visit for awhile, which will even things up!

If you want to remember the work here in prayer- specifically remember the tent series at Masaya and the interest there. There are 9 believers from that area now, more believers may one day soon root up another assembly if the Lord wills it!
Also remember the children's meetings which are next Monday-Friday, twice a day. We wish both to plant the seed into the hearts of young ones, but also to reach the parents!

Andrew Baker has been kind enough to let me take pictures on his camera but he is gone right now so no pictures for you, sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment