Saturday, May 22, 2010

Parasites, Pickup trucks, and Protection



Let's just say that I quite likely have parasites... could this be why I've been as hungry as a horse all the time?? There's even been a couple times where I've had a snack between 3-4 a.m.. And to shake any doubts off, they feed us very well here. ;)

3 Simple Pleasure of Life.

1. Fans. Small or big, electric or hand-held objects... There is nothing I've enjoyed quite as much as a fan.

2. Toast. There is only 2 ways to eat toast. Your first option- crunchy peanut butter with Canadian honey. Strictly Canadian honey. Even better (all females will understand my appreciation here) is option two: a layer of peanut butter on first, topped with a generous layer of Nutilla (chocolate spread)!! Its like eating a really big Reese's peanut butter cup!!!

3. Riding in the back of the pick-up truck. We are not allowed this adventure in the States. As of today, I chose to ride in the back all the time. Up until today... when the guys couldn't handle it anymore. They decided it was too un-chivalristic for them to all be inside while I was in the bed. :) (you have to admit... its very considerate of them!) There are 2 Andrews here. Today, I was settled quite snugly in the back of the truck. All was well, I was happy. Then the Andrews come up to the truck. Andrew #2 says "Okay Laura, it looks really bad that we're all riding inside and you're out here. You should sit inside." I tried the "Its fine, I love it out here" and puppy eyes tactics. Andrew #1 gives me a very stern look and says "Yes. Its the new rule."

The moral of the story is that the guys are doing a good job taking care of me. Chivalry may be dying, but its not completely dead... it doesn't have to be guys. Take that step. Be willing to be the man again. If a woman influenced by the world scorns your efforts at chivarly- don't give up. God says women are the weaker vessel. God gave men the duty of protecting the women and children. Gentlemen- being a man is what you were made for!

Okay, time for a little story. I want you to picture a pick-up truck in your head. Make sure it has an extended cab. Now, picture your idea of "full". How many people did you fit in it?
I wish I had a picture for you... last night we had 30+ people in one pickup! I didn't know it was possible!!! 8 or 9 people were in the cab. 5 were on the roof. Over 15 were in the bed. I was in the bed with my legs crossed. One foot was on the floor, the other was resting in a girl's lap. The girl next to me was holding on to my legs for support. Neither of us had anything to hang on to and we were on the rim of the truck bed. One rapid move and we would fall backwards! So I put one hand in my lap, the other around her shoulders and hung on to the bookbag strap of the guy next to her. The drive from El Valle to Masaya was about 10 miles. The one thought that kept running through my mind was "this is how people die...this is how people die..." :) But no worries, the driver didn't go much faster than a crawl. And you all know how much I love an adventure, so I found it exciting! :D

I have not yet spotted any tarantulas or snakes. A few ant infestations in my room at night and a plenteous supply of geicos... plus a parasite or two...;)

The guys are out today, setting up the gospel tent in Camilla Ortega. On Monday we start a week of children's meetings and a series of gospel meetings. The gospel series in Masaya is continuing with a very good attendance last night.

I had my first week of Spanish lessons this week. The more I am exposed to the language, the more confidence I gain and the more I pick up. Ike and Silvia joined us this week, I freely claim them as family.

That's the news on my end..... Dale Brandt, can you send me your email address por favor? :)

Your parasitic sister,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment